Krishna Talukdar, Debdeep Mitra


Introduction: Recently there has been increasing awareness about arthropod bites due to better understanding about these invertebrate animals, their life history, their breeding habits, geographical distribution, mechanism of trauma cause to human, animals, better understanding of immunological events that occur immediately after the arthropods bites or stings. There have been very few studies carried out throughout the world on arthropod dermatoses to see the prevalence of different types of arthropod associated with human society. In India, especially the north–east region, which lies near to the foot–hills of the Great Himalaya is also lagging behind in this aspect despite the fact that people living in this region are commonly facing hazardous effects of arthropods in their day to day life. In view of this, the current study has been undertaken to throw some light on prevalence of these invertebrate animals based upon clinical morphological pattern of the lesion.

Material & Methods: The clinical material comprised of randomly selected two hundred four (204) patients attending the Department of Dermatology in a tertiary care hospital in North East India with skin disease due to arthropod infestation comprising a total incidence of 1.70% of the OPD patients.

Results: The highest number of cases of arthropod dermatoses was observed in the 0-10 years age group (43.6%) and lowest was observed in more than 50 years (6.9%). Female patients constituted 54% of the study population and the rest 46% were male patients. Male to female ratio was 1 : 1.17.  The patients were sorted based on their occupational status as shown in Table 2 and it was evident that the highest cases of arthropod dermatoses were observed amongst the student (35.3%) followed by housewife (23%). It was observed that scabies was highest (52.9%), followed by pediculosis (17.1%), papular urticaria due to mosquito bite (6.9%), demodecisosis (5.4%), paederus dermatitis (5.4%), myiasis (4.4%), animal mite bite (3.4%), bug bite (1.5%), flea bite (1%), spider bite (1%), hornet sting (0.5%), dermatoses due to butterflies (0.5%).

Conclusion: Diseases which do not endanger a patient’s life are frequently ignored, but there is no doubt that even trivial lesions can assume serious upset if they are very numerous. Same is the case of arthropods. From this study an unequivocal impression can be drawn, that children and housewives belonging to poor socioeconomic condition with their different socio–cultural habit suffer from wide range of arthropod dermatoses. This study emphasizes the need for scrupulous and meticulous search for arthropod dermatoses and to set a proper protocol at the earliest to prevent the recurrence of the disease process and morbidity.


Arthopod, Papular urticaria, Insect bite, Stings, Dermatoses, Anthropod bite.


Alexander JO’D. (1984). “Flea bites and other Disease caused by Fleas”, Arthropods and Human Skin, Springer, Berlin, pp.159-176.

Brazzetti V, Martinoli S, Prestinari F, et al. (2002). “Staphylinid blister beetle dermatitis”, Contact Dermatitis, Vol.46(3), pp.183-184.

Elston DM. (2001). “What’s eating you? Millipedes (Diplopoda)”, Cutis, Vol.67, p.452.

Huda MM. (1990). “Tea Garden Dermatoses of Assam”, Paper presented in the North Eastern Regional Conference.

Krinsky W. (1983). “Dermatoses associated with bites of mites and tics Arthropodi”, Acari Int J Dermatol, Vol.22, pp.75-91.

McKoy KC, and Moschella SL. (1985). “Parasites, Arthropods, Hazardous animals and tropical Dermatology”, In: Moschella SL and Hurley HS. (eds). “Dermatology”, Vol.2, 2nd edition, pp.1731-1820.

Mehta VR. (1980). “Cutaneous reactions to insect bite - Sarcoptes scabei not excused”, IJDVL, Vol.46(5), pp.255-59.

Reisman RE. (1994). “Venom Hypersensitivity”, J Allergy Clin Immunol, Vol.94, pp.651-658.

Richards OW, and Davis RG. (1983). “Hymenoptera”, Imm’s General Textbook of Entomology, Tenth Edition, pp.1174-1279.

Ross HH, Ross CA, and Ross JRP. (1982). “Arthropoda: Insects and their allies. A Textbook of Entomology”, 4th Edition, , pp.27-58.

Schaffer B, Jacobsen C, and Beerman H. (1954). “Histopathologic correlation of lesions of papular urticaria and positive skin test reactions to insect antigens”, Arch Dermatol Syphilol, Vol.70, pp.437-442.

Yesudian P, and Thambiah A. (1973). “Persistent papules after tick bites”, Dermatologica, Vol.147, pp.214-218.


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Send mail to ijmpr@ijmpr.com with questions or comments about this web site. 

International Journal of Medical and Pharma Research, All rights reserved.